Language and Travel


How important is it to speak another language while traveling? 

Spoiler alert: VERY IMPORTANT. 

Let’s get one thing straight though: You don’t need to speak fluently. You don’t even have to know the “basics.” What you need to know are a few phrases. Phrasebooks are nice because they’re pocket-sized, and nowadays, there are plenty of apps you can download to your phone with handy phrases available. 

Here are some of my go-to’s before going abroad: “Hello.” “Goodbye.” (Informal phrases are fine.) “Thank you.” “You’re welcome.” “How much does this cost?” “What is this?” “What’s your name?” “How do you say [noun] in [language of choice]?” “Get off of me!” “I need help!” “Leave me alone!” And the most important of them all: “Do you speak [my native language]?” 

I would provide caution for questions that are very touristy in nature, but it depends on the setting. For example, I would personally avoid asking a stranger on the street where something is located (a specific place, street, hotel, monument, museum, etc.). You are safer asking when you’re at a restaurant or just checking a map (or Maps on your phone). It’s inevitable that you may need directions or a specific address to a location so it’s just something to keep in mind. 

What are some other helpful phrases to know while traveling? Let me know in the comments! Image description: Allison is holding up Spanish, French, German and Japanese travel phrasebooks over her face.

Comments

Popular Posts