The Art of Storytelling

For three consecutive Mondays last month, I participated in an "adult mini-camp" entitled The Art of Storytelling at Montclair Film. While it went over the general basics of storytelling and public speaking, it forced us to think about a topic we want to discuss- in other words, a story we need to get off our chests, a story we need to tell the world and a story worth our breaths. The reason I took the class was to help re-shift my focus on personal development and performance.

It's not as though I have trouble storytelling in general. I am required by my job to routinely discuss the importance of our company's work and projects, and normally, I answer the same questions over and over. Sometimes my answer is robotic, sometimes it's sympathetic and sometimes it's forceful, but I ensure it sounds truthful. As the adage goes- if you say it enough times, it must be true.

But going back to these personal narratives. Over the years, I've found it difficult to discuss the past, especially since I look back at some parts of it as failures. I understand that it happens to everyone....except for those who seemingly have it all put together. (Those people put their failures in the Recycle Bin in their brains!) Although, even though I've "failed" at one thing, or a few things!, I've learned twice as many lessons. I can turn negative stories into a positive outcomes.

What's even more difficult, though, is finding the words to discuss what I want for my future in spite of my past. It's hard to turn around and say, "Well, I want X even though, looking back, I have zero knowledge of it." A desire cannot be enough. Therefore, having these personal narratives prepared will make it easier to work on building my confidence and expressing genuine interest and intent.

Just like I had intended with this blog, the narratives will be a way to convey thoughts and ideas surrounding interpersonal relationships (and those in my life), self-discovery and all of my interests. This is why my story for the class was aptly titled, "Finding Your Place in the World (When You're Stuck Here." (Sound familiar?) I wanted to summarize my journey- with all the joys, frustrations, gratefulness and hopefulness- that is actually not that unique to me. After the class, some of my fellow classmates told me that they have experienced similar journeys and were able to relate to my story on some degree. Others told me that I was crazy and accomplished more than the average 30-year-old. (I would still disagree but anyway!) I am thankful for their kind and encouraging words, but it's just the beginning. As I said above, I did it to re-shift my focus and continue to write my new chapter each day- as cheesy and cliche as that sounds. It is still better than being boring. If there's something I've learned, it's that if I want to move forward, I'll need to tell the story of moving in that direction.

(If you're interested, below is a taping of my story. You'll need to excuse my raspy voice and clearing of the throat. I am still upset that I had a cold, but it could have been worse.)

A video of my story, filmed on July 30, 2018.

Comments

Popular Posts