Gotta Get Away

As I teased in two posts ago, I wanted to share some recent trips I've taken this year. As you all well know, traveling is my hobby...except I don't get a chance to engage in my hobby as often as I'd like. Between the expenses, stamina and TIME needed, it's not a "thing" I can do every weekend. I am lucky though to have gone away a few things this year, and I am looking forward to future trips (the planned and the unplanned).

The thing that I am most surprised about is the reflection I have: mainly regarding personal growth and my current at-home situations. Usually when I travel, it's not in response to a situation, but it tends to occur when I have dealing with something that just happened or a current mood that I'm trying to change. When I'm removed from the daily grind, it can't be helped to think clearer about the situations and to put things into perspective (even if it means that travel isn't the remedy).

When I took a very unexpected trip to Martinique in March, it was planned right before my breakup. While I could see the breakup a mile away, it was still not exactly happy times. When I went away about a month later, it became much clearer that the whole situation was exactly what needed to happen. Had it had gone on much longer, it would have had the same outcome, and it saved me from further deception. The trip itself presented challenges. My friend invited another person to take the trip with us- to me, a complete stranger. I agreed, but we had to learn to concede on many things on the fly. While I think we all had different expectations of the trip, we grew stronger as individuals. At the end of the trip, we rated each other on traveling companions- the good, the bad and ugly. Now, I can say we are stronger friends.

There were other challenges too (another one being: why I have let my French language skills diminish?), but I again enjoyed the thrill of planning excursions and being a true outsider. I had forgotten what that was like in a long time since I was caught up in my work and living day-to-day. The shift in focus and forgetfulness of work helped to recharge my batteries.

The next trip I took was for my birthday in the beginning of June in Nashville. It wasn't my top choice of places to visit, but I wanted to do something different; and boy was it different. Nashville is a nice and clean city with plenty to do and lots of live music. My friend and I quickly adapted to the hot chicken and even hotter weather. However, I found it very difficult to navigate as it was spread out, and our only reliable mode of transportation was ride-sharing. While food was reasonably priced, everything else was not; it was hard to narrow down the museums and things to do on a budget. My GI was giving me some issues. And on top of it, my friend and I were surrounded by truckloads (literally) of bachelor and bachelorette parties. While I cannot say I was jealous, it was a constantly in your face.

My actual birthday was filled with merriment, but I was slightly down about the whole thing. While I had planned this trip to be fun and exciting, I truly regretted not spending it surrounded by my friends and family. Instead, I was surrounded by complete strangers. I wanted to be an outsider, remember? I guess not so much on my birthday. It was the first time I had ever been away for it. I'm thankful I took the trip because it was the kick in the butt I needed, too. I turned 30, and I realized that I can no longer rely outside influences to make me happy. A trip won't change the fact I'm turning 30. A trip won't reverse any decisions I've made. And certainly, a trip won't change my situations at home.

And lastly, my most recent trip to Maine was beyond what I had imagined. Initially, I didn't have any idea of what to expect, and the trip was thrown together very last minute. I knew some people who have been to Maine and said it was beautiful, but I had no clue how much so. My friend and I planned some things in advance, but overall, we really were on the fly for most of the trip. (We think alike when it comes to travel so I was glad that we agreed on almost everything.) We spent hours in the car catching up and going over a lot of personal and professional topics, and I think we grew even closer than previously.

So what's so revolutionary about this trip? It was all about trying new things (top two were paddle boarding and lobster, but there's more!). Whether it's because of my personality, or that I'm a Gemini (haven't figure it out yet!), I thrive on change and excitement. I understand that not everything in my life will be as exciting as my hobby, but I have committed to taking proactive steps to be in a different place next year. Whether it is an actual place or just a new position, or who knows what, I don't want to be stagnant.

I'm grateful for travel and for all things I learn from every trip I've taken. I've grown from every experience and discovered new places that aren't too far away. I've met some awesome individuals, and I've met people who lead very different lives. Some I could easily relate to, and others not so much, but that is what makes the world go 'round. It also reinforces my belief, my core belief, that the more one engages with others, the more one grows and becomes empathetic to world. The understanding that we're different, and that's okay, and that we are all dealing with different situations. I have decided that I want to reestablish this theory as a career. I haven't exactly figured it out how, but that's for perhaps my next trip.

Me being reflectiveAF in Popham Beach State Park, Maine. 
(Photo credit: Hanna Persson)

Comments

Popular Posts