Riding the Wave

In my previous post, I discussed some of the factors that led to my recent job shift. One of the factors was being present in everyday life by expressing yourself in your passions, experiences and hobbies. It's not just about living for your career goals; it's about cultivating a full life. What works for one person does not translate to another, but that's what makes the world go around. We can learn from each other and motivate ourselves to push beyond our boundaries.

Last weekend, I did something I "wanted to try" for over ten years. It was something that required skill and was considered dangerous. In all honesty, I wasn't fearful, but it wasn't a priority in my life. It just got slotted to the back of file cabinet because of other priorities. However, I had an epiphany- I was going to turn 29, and I no longer wanted to wait. I signed up for motorcycle lessons.
(And I'd like to do a HUGE shout-out to Kevin for joining me in the ride.)

This class, consisting of two full days of exercises, teaches beginners all of the requirements of riding a motorcycle. At the end of the class, students are expected to pass a written and riding test in order to receive license endorsement. The only "expectation" is that students must be able to ride and balance a bicycle for the class. For me.....all I knew was how to ride of bicycle, which I haven't done in over two years. I haven't driven a stick shift in a car, rode dirt bikes or jet skis, or even been on a scooter. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

As the weeks got closer, and I was reading the riding manual, my nerves kicked in. What did I get myself into? It seemed so complicated. I wanted to regret signing up, but I took that fear and channeled into determination. I knew I wanted this. When I told others I signed up for the class, I got mixed reactions. Some were positive, some were questioned, and some were downright disappointment. But I knew I was only doing it for myself.

The class wasn't easy. It was a learning curve for me; not just getting used to the hand gears and foot pedals, but getting used to speed. The one criticism I received throughout the two days was that I was not going fast enough, and that in their minds translates to fear. I was even told twice "perhaps this isn't your time to ride." I took that as a sign that I needed to prove them wrong.

The class consisted of ten students, and there was only one other woman in the class with me. Everyone mixed in ages and backgrounds, but we were all there for the same reason. The other woman in the class unfortunately did not finish out the first day due to falling twice off the bike. Even more, I wanted to finish and pass the test. The riding test wasn't extremely hard, but I was still nervous. I messed up the two U-Turns (which isn't considered a necessary move), and in the turn, I didn't go fast again (I know I know).

In the end, we all passed. It was a relief to know we all did well enough to receive our endorsements. I was told I needed to practice although I have no immediate plans in purchasing a motorcycle.

It would sound corny if I said that I felt alive on the bike so I'm not saying that. However, I will say that I got a huge boost from achieving the goal. I originally went in just for curiosity, and I wasn't even concerned if I received the endorsement. As the hours turned, I was so determined to prove myself wrong with just being content. Onto the next challenge!

Motorcycle Riding Center in Riverdale, NJ. July 2017.

Comments

Popular Posts