Nice Work if You Can Get It (And You Can Get It if You Try)

I'm pleased to announce that I have started a position this past week supporting the Public Affairs Group for my company PSE&G. It is an incredible opportunity, and I'm excited to learn from the leaders on effective outreach strategies and ways to engage with the communities that PSE&G serves. It's been a struggle, to say at the very least, finding a role that combines my passion for using interpersonal communication to bring mutual understanding among individuals and groups. While this position supports a utilities corporation, I believe that regardless it will provide safe and clean energy to neighborhoods of all shapes and sizes. I will be working in multilingual and multicultural neighborhoods, neighborhoods that are economically growing (and on the flip side, those that are struggling) and diverse landscapes. I cannot wait to research, develop and execute projects.

There were various factors that led me to this position. I do believe that "timing" is a factor, but that's a factor we have no control over. So instead, I wanted to use this post to address ways in which one can take control of their destiny. It's no guarantee, of course, and I am certainly not a job/career expert. These are ways in which helped me bring me closer to my passions and goals.

1. Be present, always.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky (or Michael Scott, for The Office fans out there!)
When I started at PSE&G, I accepted a position as General Clerk supporting the gas distributions shops in Northern NJ. It's an under appreciated role in the business for many reasons, mostly due to misrepresentation of the work being done (or not being done). It wasn't a difficult job per se, but it required accuracy and organization. I did my job at 110%. It was obvious to others that this wasn't my passion, but I didn't speak negatively about my role. Instead, I spoke about what I wanted to do and how I could use my skills and interests in the company. I attended off-hour events such as Christmas parties, film showings, resource group round tables, etc. I requested meetings with Directors and sent introductory emails to those who I met (no matter what their role). I joined the Mentorship Program. I volunteered for the Safety Council. I hustled. I did everything to consistently have a name and a face, and people remembered me. They remembered me when it went mattered, too, and that's a huge deal.

2. Remember the bigger picture
When I was in college, my dream job was working in a study abroad office. I would never say that one point in my life was the best, but if I did, study abroad would come pretty close. It was transformative. I was exposed to so many different cultures, made a new set of true friends (who I'm still friends with!), took courses that would never be offered in the U.S., gained independence and most importantly, understood the meaning of understanding. I was always open-minded, but it gave me a new perspective. It's something, as I've so eloquently stated in this blog, that is truly lacking in our current affairs.
With that, I wanted to advise students and guide them to an awesome program where they could experience this too. To take it a step further, I wanted to create programs and work with local communities. I was so excited about stepping into that field.......but it didn't happen. I was crushed. Didn't I do everything right? I studied abroad twice, received my Master's, wrote my thesis on the topic and interned with a non profit that provides opportunities for programs.
It's not to say that it will never happen, but right now, it's not my path. I will use my skills and passion in a different way, and my excitement for the new position is even greater.

3. Write right now
Or paint, or do a vision board, or continue to tell others about your dreams. Just like being present, your dreams will not happen overnight. I learned this the hard way (see above). I curled into a ball and decided to be miserable while I was underemployed (and I did that for two years, TWO YEARS OF MY TWENTIES). Even while I was employed at PSE&G, I was just happy to have a well compensated job, but I forgot about my dreams. Once I recognized my talents and passion, in the greater sense, it became obvious that I could mold into any area as long as I stayed true. I expressed myself in various forms, including this blog, just to stay mentally active. One could volunteer, take a class, learn a skill or even try something outside or in a gym. It doesn't matter what you do, but never be idle. Binge watching TV shows won't bring you closer to your dreams. Meeting new people and being present in the universe will.

4. Create your dream
My PSE&G mentor said it best: to be happy, professionally, you must create your dream job. It won't be an easy job, but it will be what you desire out of life. You will wake up excited and go to be bed knowing you made the difference (even if it was clearing your inbox!). My mentor told me this when I was at my lowest point this year- exhausted, frustrated and annoyed with my current situation (professionally and personally). It's not easy to recognize, but two days later, I created this blog. A week later, I got the call about the interview. These things don't work in mysterious ways; they just work.
I would take it one step further and proclaim that one must work towards creating their dream life. Of course within reason, but there's nothing crazy with setting goals to work towards and continuing to roll with the punches. Nobody said these dreams would be without a few nightmares.

5. It's not the end of the world
My favorite TV show is Sabrina the Teenage Witch (and NO, I don't care that the show is over 20 years old, and I haven't watched TV since the 1990's). On the last episode of the entire series, Sabrina calls off her wedding to Aaron. (We all knew she was destined to be with Harvey anyway.) Sabrina is heartbroken that she worked so hard to making the relationship and impending marriage work, but at the end of the day, he wasn't her true love. She felt that she let everyone down, including herself. Hilda, the aunt played by Caroline Rhea, is comforting her and says so poignantly, "It's not the end of the world. Trust me, I've been to the end of the world, and this isn't it." That has always stuck with me even when I was at my worse. It's hard to see the end of the tunnel when it's still so dark. All I wanted was to be proud of my work, and I felt that I was letting myself down. However, I believe everyone goes through these periods, and it's important to remember that's all it is- a period. The book that continues to be written everyday in your life.

Although I will be busy with my new role, I will continue to post on here! I am already brainstorming ways that this position will influence my posts on here too so stayed tuned.

My vision board created back in May 2017.

Comments

Popular Posts