What’s Your Definition of Communication?

Communication, in its simplest definition, is the transmission of messages from one entity to another through a circular channel or channels. 

Communication is: 
1. In many forms 
2. Transmitted through various (and simultaneous) mediums
3. Framed by contexts 

What’s so special about communication as a subject is that it is so rich and vast- the definition above is just the tip of the iceberg.

When I started out in college, I was convinced that understanding (as a theory) was through language alone; hence, I entered as a French/Francophone major. By the end of my first semester, I discovered that there was this whole department dedicated to this idea of understanding, and not just for journalism, PR or TV/radio. I applied for the second major in Interpersonal Communication and never looked back.

I’m excited to discuss this topic further as it’s the basis to not only what -I- do everyday, but what -you- do everyday too! Let me know in the comments what communication means to you. 

Image description: Allison in front of a classroom doing a presentation during a career day.

Comments

Popular Posts