Your Hashtag

I took a seminar at my work two weeks back entitled "Taking Charge of Your Career." While it wasn't the first time I've taken a career course (or is it a joke that I've taken too many?), this one required us to come up with a hashtag. The hashtag was supposed to culminate all of your experience, expertise and character into a single word. The hashtag was supposed to be your branding and guide to seeking opportunities that would allow you to shine.

Well, as per usual, I was stumped.

The hashtag was (allegedly) supposed to come naturally after writing down your last seven jobs and spelling out the different roles/actions/tasks. Once having that information, the hashtag would present itself. Also with the help of your table-mates, a hashtag could be created. So after staring at my pseudo-resume for two minutes, I look towards my table mates, but even couldn't even help me. One said "how about #helpful"? #Helpful? That's a pretty strong word to label myself, and besides, it doesn't exactly speak to my career advancement. Another said "you're #meticulous." Meticulous?? Even if I am meticulous, which I'm wouldn't consider myself, I sure as hell wouldn't be making it my hashtag.

Eventually, with the help of another classmate, I settled on #connect. While I certainly like the appeal of it, it's still a bit of a broad brush to describe and brand "me" in my career path. I started thinking about it though- this concept isn't exactly strange. Depending on your career choice and path, it's important to stand out among the rest when meeting a new connection, networking, going for an interview or seeking opportunities. But with a hashtag?

Not that I was ever internet savvy, but as far as I've known, hashtags were a creation of blogs and Twitter to track trends and link posts. They're used as part of messaging strategies for businesses, media and movements. For my passion project, which has officially been titled "Making It Here and There," I will link the content using: #makingithereandthere or #mihat.

However, to define myself in one word would either do two opposite things: narrow my vision or broadening too wide. #connect is something I enjoy doing with others, but it's not all I do, or can do. I would easily apply that word to the project or to my abilities, but it's not the only one I would use. Unlike the intention of this exercise, which was to aid in my job search, I was more confused about why I had to limit myself. And to be frank, nobody else in the class should have to, either.

I will continue to use #allisoniurato which all of its crazy layers and subsections to carry me through my career path. Instead of having one trait or ability, all of them make up my name.

Comments

Popular Posts