The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades

(I promise I will recap my time in Austin, TX, but for now, I wanted to write about an event I attended the day after my return.)

On Tuesday, I attended the Meadowlands Regional Chamber of Commerce and the 2040 Foundation event entitled "Millennial Roundtable." The theory behind the roundtable was to gather "young"-ish people of different backgrounds, ask a series of lifestyle questions and craft what the organizations call their "Vision Plan." This Vision Plan would summarize the answers and determine emerging trends for future development of the area in NJ. The pool of millennials ranged from current students (many of which were working, including full time jobs) and professionals living in the surrounding area.

We were first asked a set of questions regarding our education and job training, current job (or future plans), living arrangements and commuting, and then we were asked another set about our goals or wishes. For example, we were asked, "How do you commute to work?" followed by, "Would you consider ride sharing a possibility?" and finally, "Which do you think is more reliable: public transportation or ride sharing?"

Another interesting set of questions were about our living arrangements. We were asked if we still lived at home (with family). Many said yes, and one explained that it was possible to save money that way. Another student jumped in and said that (not verbatim), "That's the thing about millennials. They're taking advantage of their parents instead of taking responsibility of paying rent to a mortgage." But then, another student expressed frustration: everyone's financial situation is different, and especially in the current housing prices in NJ, it is impossible for someone straight out of college to pay rent and find a decent job. There was also a debate as to what is considered "reasonable" in terms of living space, and whether one is willing to pay a premium for a lawn, parking space, etc.

The dialogue highlighted one key thing amongst my peers: we are a different generation, and we are living in different times. As I've stated in another post, we can't look to the past to solve issues of today. The oversimplification of "millennials" is frustrating even so much that I hate to be associated with the word. In reality, I believe every "past" generation scorns the next, generalizing them as entitled and lazy. People said the same thing about greasers, hippies, Baby Boomers and Generation X. Generalizing this generation as "snowflakes" doesn't solve anything, nor will it change the attitudes of anyone. It fails to see the larger picture and put anything into context.

For example, my parents moved out of the house after high school and worked. It wasn't easy, but they managed, and they chose to lead that life. However, for me, things are very different. I stayed home and attended college, and I had a constant yearning to move out after studying abroad. I chose to attend graduate school and live in New York City, and while I don't regret my decision, I do currently feel the financial burden of it. Things eventually worked out in my professional career, but it was only after experiencing several years of stress finding a stable job. If I chose to move out and find a job immediately after high school like my parents, I know my situation would be completely different if not much harder. College had given me many opportunities and experiences that I would have never had if I didn't attend. I enjoyed (most of) my internships and found them to be beneficial and rewarding. Living at home also gave me more precious time to spend with my grandparents. Nothing lasts forever, and my present is not a projection of my future.

However I've chosen to live my life was my choice. Of course, I sought advice from my parents and others in my life throughout my life, but whatever happened is from decisions I made and what I believed to be the best (or only) option. To generalize and oversimplify my life or anyone else's, past, present and future, is an insult. I understand that there are entitled and lazy individuals walking the planet, but I cannot speak on their behalf. If they weren't challenged or given responsibility then why should they start now? If someone is lazy then it's a choice, but don't assume someone is lazy by a situation in which you have no context (i.e., living with parents). In any case, I don't believe this roundtable was necessarily seeking out the unmotivated types. It was through recommendation, and we were a representation of the college and companies sponsoring the event.

With that said, I am reading the Vision Plan once it's released to see what suggestions were made regarding the future planning of the area. While it's very beneficial to the organizations to utilize our thoughts and ideas, it was at the very least a way to discuss (and vent) about what our generation is facing for a future. I'm hopeful that those who choose to make a difference and follow their dreams can do so without restraint so long as there is hard work, flexibility and open-mindedness for the road that's ahead. If nothing else, I hope that will encourage others to look past the jaded generalizations.

Comments

Popular Posts