Staying Weird

Two weeks ago, I visited Texas for the very first time- Austin, TX to be exact to attend the Austin City Limits music festival with my friend. The city's unofficial motto is "Keep Austin Weird," and we certainly were immersed in the unique charm of the city. Between the bustling music scene on Sixth Street (or shall I say, Pecan Street?!), the murals paying homage to the unofficial mayor Matthew McConaughy and the UT widespread campus, there is a casual way of life that radiates throughout. The entire time I was there, I didn't "feel" like I was in Texas, or what I imagined Texas to be. The cowboys, the Wild West, the county music- maybe it's elsewhere, or maybe it's all a stereotype. I've been to many major cities in my life, and it certainly stood out on it's own, but more than just the architecture and layout. The people and culture mold the vibe.

My friend and I encountered many individuals on our trip: our AirBnB host, an Austin native retired social worker and now full-time artist; a cover band wherein one was an Austin native and the other two- one from NYC and one from Southern CA- who all claim that they can live a true "musician's life" that doesn't require a day job; our Tipster Austin City guide who's other earnings come from BitCoin; and the bus driver who transplanted from Albany to escape the cold weather. They all have reasons for living and working there, and all seemed fairly satisfied in their decision.

It's the opposite back in New Jersey. Before I left for the trip, I didn't even feel like I was about to go on vacation. I was racked with work trying to tie up loose ends before departing. However, when I landed in Austin, thoughts of work completely disappeared. In fact, I didn't check my emails until waiting for our return flight, and that was to rid of the junk. Since I've been back, however, my stress levels have increased two-fold. Not that I'm complaining, of course, but I do believe it's a product of our environment. I have hope that my position will eventually work itself out, and the stress of preventing fires (instead of putting them out) will fade away. Comparing life in Austin, however, makes me wonder if I'm location and surroundings affect your personal well-being.

I see these news stories all the time: "Best Places to Live in the U.S./World" or something along those lines. The reason for they're ranked the highest is correlated to the ease of living there- i.e. career opportunities, safe neighborhoods, low costs of living, green spaces, "friendly" to all types (children, disabled, pets, etc.). It's not enough for me to start packing my bags, but perhaps to consider changing my environment. Reducing the stress in my life by making a point to visit green space, develop roots in my community and find ways to cut costs of living. I also need to continue working on myself, balancing relaxation, my hobbies and all while keeping up wth the rat race.

There's other factors, too, as to why I would never move to Austin, including the loss of close family and friends, there are several laws in Texas that I disagree with and the constant heat. While I enjoyed my trip, I don't think it's the best city for me. In the meantime, however, I'll keep staying "weird" in New Jersey.
(For the record, Weird NJ came out before Keep Austin Weird so we got that one!)

Waiting for a taxi in Austin, TX. October 14th, 2017.

Comments

Popular Posts