(Office) Space Cases

In my new position, I unfortunately lack an office space while the company is in the process of finalizing a lease for a new building. In the meantime, I have decided to take up a folding chair and a folding table in a trailer as my temporary lodging for the next century (which is no exaggeration).

Since beginning the job in July, I have constantly had to move from empty desk to empty desk, drop-in desk to drop-in desk (even those have "regulars") to some days locations in empty conference rooms, cafeterias, benches and even my car. While I'm not complaining, I truly appreciate having a place to call "home" and be settled. When you don't have a permanent space, it's very obvious that you're not supposed to be there.

With that said- do you remember the name of this blog?
Finding Your Place in the World (When You're Stuck Here)
I have seriously taken that for granted!
Now I am trying "Finding My Place in the Office (When You Don't Have One to Begin With)."

A place to rest your head, your family or your stapler is about having security. You'll know that you, your possessions and your surroundings are set. While we can't predict or stop someone from intrusion, it's safe to say that having a roof over your head is essential to stability in life. In addition, your surroundings include those around you- whether it be your immediate family, trustworthy roommates or your office mates- so and this makes a huge difference. If you get along with these people then you can rest easy.

Conversely, as I've stated, when it's not your space, you lack the security and stability. You can't trust leaving your stuff there. You can't be assured the desk is open tomorrow. The "office mates" treat you like a stranger- even if you know them! They ask you, "Don't you have an reporting location?" or "When you are moving to that new building?" It's not to say I cannot complete my work, but it's always an extra step to find office supplies or keeping files orderly.

Imagine being homeless. While I'm not likening an office space to an actual dwelling, it makes you wonder though how people do it everyday. If you've never been homeless, it's pretty difficult to picture yourself in that situation. However, individuals go days, months and years without having a home or settlement. Whether it's by choice or by consequence (since I'm not deducing it as a "bad" thing), it must be a true challenge to stay secure and organized.  The other challenge is dealing with others and their perceptions. Being homeless is a stigma in our society since it is treated as a choice because of consequences and to receive help means taking advantage of social services. Every case is unique which is why there shouldn't be any judgement.

As for me, I plan on taking full advantage of my temporary set up in the trailer and becoming friendlier with my office mates. They, too, lack an a real office building, except the trailers are permanent bases for their group. I suppose that's one way to build camaraderie.

Comments

Popular Posts