Scholastic Art & Writing Awards 2017

Last Thursday- June 8th, 2017, I attended the 94th Annual Scholastic Art & Writing Awards Ceremony at Carnegie Hall.
Scholastic? Sounds familiar. It's that book fair that we went to every year in grade school, the magazine that you didn't read and the one that publishes fairly well-known reads (ever heard of Harry Potter?). They also happen to have a long-standing scholarship and recognition program for bright young minds across the country. I wasn't aware of this until November of last year when I received an interest email from The New School seeking remote jurors.

Had it been possible that I submitted to this, unwittingly, years prior? Maybe; I don't know. I wrote a lot as a teenager, but I was never proud of my work. I also drew and took art classes, but I felt my talent was amateur at best.

Bringing me back to November- I said to myself, it's possible that while my 14-year-old self wasn't proud doesn't mean I couldn't decipher what was quality craftsmanship, on paper at least. I submitted my interest application, and I was brutally honest. Listen, was I in the arts field? I'm a Clerk for a Utilities Company, but it wasn't as if I was born that way. I explained my desire to connect back to this time- when writing was raw and honest. It can be unfiltered. It can be truthful. These teenagers don't have to appeal to the masses, and hell, they don't even have to appeal to their teachers. If they choose to work on their message then I wanted to read it. So *click*, submitted, and honestly I forgot all about it. Until I received an email right before Christmas that I was selected as a juror. I was giddy, truthfully, and couldn't wait to receive my stack of submissions.

And Christmas came early. 70 submissions to sort through in one month's time: Poetry Grades 7-8, Poetry Grades 9-10 and Graduating Seniors Writing Portfolios.
While I cannot comment on any specific work, there was some real talent. I was blown away by the imagery used in their language. Listen, it's been awhile since I was a teenager. Not that I have forgotten that time (even though sometimes I'd like to), but as the saying goes, the game has changed. The landscape has changed. The world has changed. Their messages, reactions, digressions and musings were on display. I was especially impressed by the ones that used it as an opportunity to address world issues such as immigration, the recent election and conflict. Was every single piece a standout? Well, no, and in some cases, it was definitely a forced writing assignment.

This brings me to an important piece to take away from their experience. There are, and always will be, two paths to take in this world. One path is to speak what's on your mind, to critically assess a situation or problem, to research and come to your own conclusion regarding a topic. The other path is to follow and be a parrot. We all take different paths in our lives, and I'm not to say it's "wrong" to follow. Sometimes following is your only option, or in extreme cases, it's taught to -not- be an individual. And being individual does not mean your "special." Being an individual is just that in itself. You don't need to win an award for doing that. We can celebrate voices, and by all means, this recognition helps encourage the young minds to continue their work.

Put yourself out there and say what's on your mind. At the very least, you can enjoy this freedom. It's something not everyone has or can take advantage in their situation.

I encourage you to view the works on the Scholastic Arts & Writing website. You can also watch the Awards Ceremony with Scholastic Awards legacy and guest speakers Amy Schumer, Ellie Kemper and Allison Williams.
Ellie Kemper presenting winners at the event at Carnegie Hall, New York, NY. June 8, 2017.

Comments

Popular Posts