Message in a Bottle

Anyone who owns a cell phone (or even uses email) knows the beauty of a text message. It's so common that to not text would be considered unusual. If you pick up the phone every time you had a question or wanted to talk, wouldn't that waste so much time? Is there even a benefit anymore to talking when the ease of sending a message is faster? The argument here is that texting is gentler and a better way to organize your thoughts and questions into a simple message. There's no need to interrupt your's or someone's day with a phone call.

However, by the time you send a text message, it's a mystery when the other person will actually respond. You're lucky if it's within a few minutes- sometimes it can take hours, a day or no reply at all. I suppose it depends on the time of day or how free the person is. Then there's the excuse, "Well I saw the message but forgot to respond." I'm sure everyone's heard that one or said it themselves.

And gentler? Well, it depends. Texts are literal words, and there's no conveyed emotion. Unlike poetry or a novel that describe a setting or person, you have no context surrounding the message. That's typically where emojis come into play because it would mimic the face you "would" make if you were telling someone a message. 

And are the messages actually simpler? One question you may have could turn into five by the time you're finish attempting to explain what you meant. There's also the the "novel" texts- long-winded messages that probably took twice as long to type up. Whether they're stories, explanations, excuses, apologies or rants, it's mad to think someone would spend the extra time to sit there and type on excess without thinking, "This would be easier to say over the phone."

I've noticed in my current position that oftentimes it is much easier to call to get answer rather than text or email. A lot of my coworkers are in the field, and to ask something "on the spot" rather than wait for a reply usually works in my favor. I've been thinking of this logic in my personal relationships, and how many times I've picked up the phone to speak to my friends and family rather than use text messaging. I'm not proud of how often I've relied on it although I don't use it for regular chatting. I usually text message someone when I have a question or want to share a something, and in my cases, seeking a time in which we can get together. It's few and far between though, and I believe my relationships do suffer since I don't bother to have "constant" contact and gaps in time grow. However, I couldn't even imagine using it on a daily basis to speak to certain people exclusively. When I mention this to other people, it seems to be the norm. What kind of interactions do these people have when they're actually together?

In dating, it's recommended to start dialing in early on to "break" the awkwardness of talking on the phone and encouraging your potential partner to do the same. It goes back to the comfort levels and distance that text messaging guarantees. When you talk on the phone, there is an added level of intimacy. There is no "thinking" of the clever thing to ask or respond, and you can be assured when the conversation is actually over (not when someone just decides to stop responding).
(I'm also NOT going to address the whole "sliding into DM's" phenomena.)

The takeaway is to consider the integrity of your relationships and how you choose to communicate when you're not together. Do you find it easier to text message? Do you examine your messages and consider if it was easier to chat? Do  you consider making the conscious effort to pick up the phone and have a conversation? Is there a correlation between those you talk on the phone and closeness as opposed to those you exclusively message? Has texting affected other aspects of your life, i.e. your job, family members or the public? 

Comments

Popular Posts